In reference to General Assembly (A/RES/70/262) and Security Council (S/RES/2282(2016)) resolutions on the Review of the United Nations Peace building Architecture, the President of the General Assembly will convene a High-Level Meeting on Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace.
The overarching objective of the High-Level Meeting is to assess efforts undertaken and opportunities to strengthen the United Nations' work on peacebuilding and sustaining peace.
As specific objectives, the meeting will also reflect on how to:
1) Respond to the renewed emphasis on conflict prevention and on addressing the root causes of conflicts to sustain peace;
2) Strengthen operational and policy coherence including through accountable leadership, and improved capacity across the United Nations system in support of peacebuilding and sustaining peace;
3) Increase, restructure and better prioritize funding to United Nations peacebuilding activities;
4) Strengthen partnerships for peacebuilding and sustaining peace among the United Nations and key stakeholders in the field at the country, regional and global levels;
5) Enhance and strengthen the role of women and youth in contlict prevention and peacebuilding efforts.
During the opening session of the Meeting on 24 April 2018, WILPF International Vice President and WILPF Nigeria President, Joy Onyesoh, is scheduled to address the forum on the need to reorient work around amplifying local women’s meaningful participation and root cause analysis for sustainable peace.
The Official Programme of the High-Level Meeting is available here>>
The Concept Note is available here>>
Security Council Resolution 2282 (2016) on sustaining peace is available here>>
2018 Secretary-General Report on Sustainble Peace ais available here>>
More information can also be found here>>