Our Women, Peace and Security hub has thousands of resources, tools and initiatives from the local to global all around the world. PeaceWomen is committed to amplifying and sharing peacemakers’ voices through our online resource hub. Sharing knowledge and wisdom increases understanding and the possibility of coherence in Women, Peace and Security strategy and implementation
The teenage boy who was allegedly sexually assaulted by United Nations peacekeepers in Haiti reportedly plans to testify against his attackers.
Fritz Dorziair, a representative for the boy's family, said the teen and his parents will travel to Uruguay -- the home country of his alleged attackers -- for a May 10 court hearing, according to international and local media reports.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has sent a senior team to Haiti to enforce the United Nations' zero-tolerance policy on misconduct by its personnel following the alleged sexual assault of an 18-year-old Haitian man by Uruguayan members of the UN peacekeeping mission in the Caribbean nation.
(Photo Jewel Samad)
The United Nations may set up a sex abuse blacklist of countries whose peacekeepers will be banned from UN missions, a top official said after two new cases were reported in Haiti.
Foreign ministers and defense chiefs from the Latin American countries that have more than 12,000 peacekeepers in Haiti called a meeting Thursday to consider how the alleged sex abuse of a Haitian teenager by Uruguayan sailors might affect the future of the U.N. mission.
The list of what needs to be fixed in Haiti is distressingly long, and progress has been frustratingly slow. But two areas require urgent attention from the Haitian government and its main international backers, the United Nations and the United States:
Alberto Breccia, a presidential spokesman, said "there is a criminal complaint drawn up by the military" to be filed locally as is the procedure with suspected crimes by peacekeepers. He did not give a time frame.
The Caribbean nation of Haiti, still struggling to recover from the devastating 2010 earthquake, is once again trying to cope with the sexual abuse of minors by U.N. peacekeepers - for the third time in five years.
The United Nations police chief today called on Member States to ensure that peacekeeping personnel found guilty of sexual exploitation and abuse are punished and that everything possible is done to prevent such crimes from being committed in the first place.
Nearly seven years ago, the soldiers who killed Halya Lagunesse's husband gang-raped the Haitian woman and her then-17-year-old daughter.
Last March, she learned that her 5-year-old granddaughter, who was conceived in the attack on her daughter, had been raped also. The attacker gave the child about 50 cents to go and buy rice. On her way back, he dragged her into a cemetery.
Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas and after the 2010 earthquake, which killed an estimated 220,000 people, EU states, banks and the European Commission jointly pledged €1.23 billion in aid.
The Commission's Department of Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (Echo) alone donated €213 million to the stricken Caribbean nation.
Two years on from the end of the devastating 26-year civil war that ripped Sri Lanka apart, Channel 4 News has obtained rare footage from inside the country's northern corner, formerly the Tamil stronghold.
An ambitious new Morocco campaign launched by a women's rights organization has argued that the veiling of young girls in the country is a form of “child abuse.”
The Center for Women's Equality announced the new campaign, with the slogan “So that girls won't live in eternal darkness” with the goal of battling against the forcing of young girls between three- and 10-years-old to veil.
Sam Cook & Felicity Hill
On December 19, 2011, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 66/170 to declare October 11 as the International Day of the Girl Child, to recognize girls' rights and the unique challenges girls face around the world.
The plight of child soldiers in Africa has grabbed the headlines in recent weeks, first with the 'Kony 2012' video from the Invisible Children pressure group, and this week with the conviction of former Liberian President Charles Taylor for aiding the recruitment of child soldiers. But what is overlooked by many is how many of those children are girls.