WOREC Nepal and NAWHRDs is appalled and deeply shocked on hearing the cruel brutality of the Police against Women Human Rights Defenders of Chimdi Village Development Committee (VDC) of Sunsari district. Around 14 WHRDs have been severely beaten and injured by Police who charged them with batons and rear of the gun. Please take urgent action.
The WHRDs were in a non violent sit in protest condemning the Police for not registering a complaint and the denial of access to justice by the government responsible bodies.
Please send a letter asking for the following actions to officials within the Nepali government:
1. Conform with the provisions of the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders, adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations on December 9, 1998, especially its Article 9 and 12 that states that Right to Remedy/Justice for violation of Rights and right, individually and in association with others, to participate in peaceful activities against violations of human rights and fundamental freedoms respectively;
2. Request the authorities to proper investigation of the incident and the steps to penalize the perpetrator;
3. Provide compensation to the injured Women Human Rights Defenders and Journalists;
4. To engage with the National Human Rights Commission Nepal, Government of Nepal and Office of the High Commission of Human Rights Nepal to ensure that the due process of law is respected;
5. Denounce irresponsible and distrustful behavior of the Area Police Office of Chimdi VDC especially Sub Inspector Rajesh Chaudhary;
6. Stop intimidation and harassment of other Women Human Rights Defenders who are fighting for the Justice;
7. Immediate assurance that the Women Human Rights Defenders do not face violence and threats and end all forms of Violence Against Women Human Rights Defenders
For more information, please click here.