The United Nations (UN) uses private military and security companies (PMSCs) extensively in a variety of activities and locations around the world. In light of concerns with respect to the outsourcing of security functions by the UN to private companies, the UN has recently adopted several policies on this matter. This panel aims to foster public awareness of the nature and extent of the UN's use of PMSCs and to discuss the UN policies and practices with a view to identifying strategies to address any gaps and challenges.
Panel 1: Use of armed guards by the UN
- Mr. Rick Cottam – United Nations Staff Union, International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
- Ms. Lou Pingeot - Global Policy Forum
Panel 2: Use of PMSCs by the UN in peace operations
- Mr. Mirko Sossai, University of Rome, Italy
- Ms. Åse Gilje Østensen – University of Bergen, Norway
- Mr. Sabelo Gumedze – Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority, South Africa
See attached flyer.