Lebanon has made progress toward the SDGs, and its current leaders have expressed strong support for the 2030 Agenda. Nonetheless, there are many challenges ahead, particularly regarding the country’s governance structure.
This research highlights a number of areas particularly important for Lebanon’s progress in achieving the 2030 Agenda:
1. Change from a sectarian quota system to a more democratic system of governance;
2. Build trust and form a new social contract where citizens are active and responsible actors in society rather than dependent subjects of a sect leader;
3. Increase transparency and strengthen the rule of law;
4. Foster social, political, and economic inclusion;
5. Reform the education system to reduce inequality.